STEVE KAUFMAN (SAK) CATALOGUE RAISONNÉ ® is an ongoing, comprehensive project that will document all known works by American pop artist Steve Alan Kaufman (SAK). This information may be used as a source of reference by collectors, galleries, and auction houses.
The official, authorized STEVE KAUFMAN (SAK) CATALOGUE RAISONNÉ will soon be available in print edition, a collaboration of Steve Kaufman Art Licensing LLC. This project will illustrate every confirmed work and publish all known paintings, sculpture, commissions, and other artwork by Steve Kaufman—from his earliest works, albeit rare, to his final works in early 2010. Entries for each work will include detailed histories of ownership, exhibitions, and literature.
Our work to assemble the official STEVE KAUFMAN (SAK) CATALOGUE RAISONNÉ began with Steve Kaufman Uniques and Limited Editions. Owners of Steve Kaufman art will be encouraged to participate by submitting information, images, and documentation for consideration. We thank you for your support of this exciting, definitive, and important project.
The contents of this website are for informative purposes only.
STEVE KAUFMAN ART LICENSING LLC is honored and proud to oversee all licensing rights for the late Steve Alan Kaufman (SAK), and is committed to preserving his legacy as a world-renowned artist and humanitarian. Click here for licensing information.
The official catalogue raisonné endeavor and its art registry, authentication, appraisal and valuation of Steve Kaufman (SAK) art is a Registered Trademark (TM) and Service Mark (SM) of Steve Kaufman Art Licensing LLC.
• LIMITED EDITIONS •These are signed and numbered works
• OPEN EDITIONS •These include Steve Kaufman’s 8"x 8" paintings including but not limited to: Santa, Liberty Heads, Hearts, Taxi, etc... and the paintings Steve presented as holiday gifts. These are many, and they are not numbered. However, all open editions were signed.
• UNIQUES •Steve Kaufman is noted for hand-embellishing his works, and because every work was hand painted differently, one can say that every painting is an original in its own way. Most of Steve’s “Uniques” were done in editions of between 5 and 20, using complex screening processes and greater attention to fine details.
• ORIGINALS •These are one-of-a-kind works, and very rare.
• OUT OF THE EDITION •A signed but unnumbered painting from a limited edition, that was not included in the official count for the limited edition series.
• UNSIGNED PAINTINGS •Steve Kaufman gave a small number of unsigned paintings as gifts during his lifetime.
• AP •ARTIST PROOF is an image made for the artist by the printer and intended for the artist's personal use. Because they are "closer to the artist's hand," APs tend to be more valuable than limited editions.
• CP •CREATIVE PROOF is an image Steve Kaufman made to see if he liked the color or silkcreens, to determine if he would enjoy moving forward and making editions of it. CP by industry standards can also mean CANCELLATION PROOF. When a limited edition has been completed, the plate from which the prints have been made is creatively defaced so that no more prints can be made. A single print, the cancellation proof, is then made to show graphically that the edition of prints has indeed been halted by destroying the "negative" from which the prints were made.
• PP •PRINTER PROOF or publisher's proof is taken for the printer to see how the image is printing, or are final impressions the printer is allowed to keep. These are fewer than artist's proofs, and provide a more exclusive opportunity for collectors.
• RR •REGISTER RESIDENCE were pieces Steve Kaufman intended for people he worked with or as gifts.
• TP •TRIAL PROOF is a working proof pulled before the edition to see what the print looks like at a stage of development, which differs from the edition. Usually trial proofs are of small number, and each one differs from the others.
• GKAB •GIVE KIDS A BREAK was a program launched by Steve Kaufman to aid troubled youth and provide them with jobs in his studio. Paintings marked GKAB were created to support this effort. Click here to learn more about the Give Kids a Break program.
*** It is important to note that Steve Kaufman lived his life and created art by his own freedom and never sharply conformed to the general rules that many artists use for their editions.